Second Chance by Deepika Muthusamy

I recently received a truly unexpected surprise gift—a book. 

You might think, what's so surprising about getting a gift?

 But to me, it isn't a usual occurrence, especially when it's a novel. 


The first scene in Second Chance immediately drew me in. Let me set the stage: it was a busy day. My daughter was preparing to go abroad for a week, and I was supposed to help her pack. I thought I’d just glance at the first paragraph and then get back to my responsibilities.


 But the prologue piqued my curiosity, especially about how Kavya and Karthik would cross paths. Initially, I assumed they were just ordinary college students. However, the author, Deepika Muthusamy, had something else in mind—something much cleverer!

To cut a long story short, by the time I finished the book, my daughter wasn’t exactly thrilled with my level of engagement.

The writing style is captivating, with enough twists and turns to keep you hooked throughout. I wish I could say more about the plot, but I’d rather avoid giving away any spoilers.

Initially, I thought Karthik was the sensible one who had been wronged. But as the story unfolds, glimpses into Kavya's life help you understand the reasons behind her unhappiness. The layers of each character are revealed slowly, making them feel real and relatable.

There were enough villains too to ruin the romance. 

As a person originally from India, I can understand the family reactions. The roles of men and women are much different compared to Western world. 

In many ways, India remains a patriarchal society. This novel offers a glimpse into the struggles of modern women as they seek recognition for their talents and efforts. 

Altogether, I will say, the writing style is good. Ms.Muthusamy got my attention till the end. 

Overall, I’d say the writing style is compelling, and Ms. Muthusamy kept me hooked until the very end. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys stories of love, resilience, and the complex dynamics of human relationships



No comments:

Post a Comment

Book a Week: Week 21 "A Town Called Solace"

  "A Town Called Solace" is a novel by Mary Lawson. The story happens in a northern Ontario town.  Clara, an eight year old, is ho...