Book a Week: Week 21 "A Town Called Solace"


 



"A Town Called Solace" is a novel by Mary Lawson. The story happens in a northern Ontario town. 
Clara, an eight year old, is holding vigil for her older sister Rose. Rose ran away from home after a fight with her mom. Clara is missing Rose very much. 
The neighbour Mrs. Orchard, has asked Clara to feed her cat Moses when she is admitted in the hospital. 
Clara's parents try to protect her by not telling what happened to Mrs. Orchard. Now, Mr. Kane, who is having a middle age crisis, got the house as a gift from Mrs. Orchard. 
The story is narrated by all three of them. 
The mysterious thread connecting them is revealed as the story goes on. Mary Lawson creates beautiful characters. The style of writing keeps us engaged in the book. 
The writing style made me finish reading the book in three days. 
After finishing reading, the characters keep coming back to my mind. 
I felt like some precious thing was taken from me when I finished reading. I was feeling the love, grief and regrets of those characters. 

I didn't want the book to finish!! That is the success of the novelist!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book a Week: Week 21 "A Town Called Solace"

  "A Town Called Solace" is a novel by Mary Lawson. The story happens in a northern Ontario town.  Clara, an eight year old, is ho...